Friday, April 13, 2012

Milliners Invade Hollywood: Part Eight

Well, I took Shirley's lollipop away but now she's found herself soda pop and a lot of it! This should be another interesting post.  My co-host is off the rails but let's get started on looking at a few fabulous hats anyway.

Anna May Wong is working that turban! Don't you think she looks beautiful here Shirley?  Shirley: "She looks very sad!".."I think those are wadded up kleenex"  Well if those are tissues all I can say is she's very creative when she gets the sads!

Mary Carlisle looks very fashionable in her beret.  Shirley: "She looks like a mannequin posed to sell over priced jewelry!"  

Brenda Marshal is modeling the latest fashion. Shirley: "She looks like a leprechaun that got all tangled up in a yarn factory!" 

Clara Bow looks very cute and innocent here with her dolly's.  Shirley: "She's not fooling anyone! Once you get a reputation of being a "fun" girl you might as well pose with a cactus and a sword!"  Meoowwww!

Fay Wray is so stylish today! Shirley: "If King Kong had seen her in that there wouldn't have been a movie!" 

Gail Patrick is a stunner! Shirley: "I think there was a song about not wearing buttons and bows at the same time."  I don't think that song was about fashion nor did it go like that. Shirley: "Sorry! Her spurs go jingle jangle."  To quote my dad.....Lay off the soda!

Claire Trevor is picture perfect here in her bonnet. Shirley: "This was her audition photos for Gone With the Wind..They told her to go cover up her cleavage and add 10 more layers of ruffles. By the time she came back Atlanta had already burned to the ground!"  Just one less actress Cecille B. had in his way I guess.

Gene Tierney is working those gloves and her stylish hat.  Shirley: "My mother uses that same hat to wash dishes with." It's road kill with a ribbon!"

Leatrice Joy is fancy in feathers! Shirley: "Those feathers are so heavy they're weighing her down...she can't even hold her head upright!" She's going to wind up with a neck strain for an ugly hat."  Well, sometimes fashion is painful.

A very beautiful photo of Norma Shearer. Shirley: "She is very pretty here. I guess she got my note telling her that the bigger the hat the less they'll notice your misguided hairstyle...Did you see her hair in The Women?"
Yes, I certainly did. Tragic!

Well, I think Shirley's offended enough celebrities for today. For the Clara Bow Fan Club, please direct your letters directly to Shirley. 

Have a great and fashionable weekend everyone and let us know which hat was your favorite.
Page






16 comments:

  1. Shirley, why don't you like the wave? Are your curl-biased?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Shirley is a bit touchy about curls. I think hers are wound too tight.
      Page

      Delete
  2. Fay Wray's picture is my favorite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristen,
      Glad you enjoyed this post.
      See ya soon!
      Page

      Delete
  3. Great hats - and even better comments! I vote for the Leprachaun in the Yarn Factory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SilverScreenings,
      Great seeing you here! : ) Brenda's fiasco seems to be very popular. Thank God they spared us that hat in color. Sure Ecru made an appearance somewhere.
      Page

      Delete
  4. I wish Shirley was "on the rails." And there was a bullet train speeding nearby.

    I am, of course, a sucker for a turban so Anna May gets my vote. But with regards to the Claire Trevor diss...here, Shirley--play with this coral snake...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ivan,
      Shirley told me to tell you that if you keep this up she's going to have Margaret O'Brien fill in for her when she goes on vacation!

      You and Kevin crack me up with your turban lovefest.
      Page

      Delete
  5. Love those hats, Page, as always! I must say my faves amongst the chapeaus were Fay Wray's, Anna May Wong's, and that last one Norma Shearer wore, though Clara was awfully cute despite the hilarious snipe "She's not fooling anyone! Once you get a reputation of being a 'fun' girl you might as well pose with a cactus and a sword!" Still laughing! :-)

    P.S.: Glad you're participating in our BEST HITCHCOCK MOVIES (THAT HITCHCOCK NEVER MADE) Blogathon in July, too! Looking forward to your review of THE GHOST WRITER! Anyone else interested, check this out:

    http://doriantb.blogspot.com/p/best-hitchcock-movies-that-hitchcock.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dorian,
      Glad you enjoyed the hats and quips! : )
      Page

      Delete
  6. I needed the chuckle ... thank you! Love the Norma Shearer photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CFB,
      So glad I can still provide you with a bit of entertainment. : )
      I hope you're having a great week.
      Page

      Delete
  7. Page, I thought of you today. I was walking from the train in downtown Chicago and saw a beautiful young woman in her, I'd guess, mid-20s, and she was wearing a turban. She looked great. I had never seen anyone wearing a turban before outside a Halloween party, but I must say she looked very chic. Bring back the turban, I say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kevin,
      You and Ivan are on a turban tear if there is such a thing! Ha Ha
      They can be very chic when worn with the right outfit.

      Thanks for sharing!
      Page

      Delete
  8. Brenda Marshall has to get first place in the hat lineup, Page. I haven't seen a hat that tall except in Vegas or Ziegfield's Follies! But isn't it beautiful? You would have to walk with extreme straight posture to carry off that one! Loved this bunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becks,
      I'mm surprised about your favorite on this one. The hat is very smaill and compact for all that's going on.
      Glad you enjoyed the line up! : )
      Page

      Delete