Sunday, December 16, 2012

When Fur Was Fabulous

While it's not cold here it's still winter and with that it's time to bring back our classic stars in their fabulous furs.

Lana Turner steps out with Peter Lawford. 

Jayne Mansfield opts for a black wrap with her evening gown. (Loving the shorter hair!)

Irene Dunne stays warm in a full length mink.

Marion Davies attempts sultry in nothing but fur. 

Betty Compson looks lovely in velvet and a touch of fur.

Rita Hayworth surrounds herself with fur. She's just that fabulous!

Pola Negri opts for fur cuffs, a collar and jewels which is nice but I wish she hadn't forgotten to fix one side of her hair. What in the world, Pola?

Lupe Velez sizzles. (Watch and learn, Marion!)

Kim Hunter poses in her short length fur and evening gown. (Is it me or is that gown too summery for the dark fur and then her hairstyle is rather distracting and not flattering on her?)

Loretta Young, drapes herself in mink which fits her image. Prim, and proper! 

Joan Bennett is picture perfect in her matching fur wrap.

Hedy Lamarr opts for a white mini. Be sweet, Hedy and loan it out to Kim Hunter.

Please let me know what you think of the furs or the attire featured here in the comments.  Also, I do realize that fur is not acceptable to wear now and I assure you I am not sitting here in fur pajamas. : ) 

I hope you are all toasty warm wherever you are as the holidays approach.
Page

12 comments:

  1. I really prefer the furs wrapped in the body, not making a coat. Anyway, I'm having ideas since now for next winter. Actually, it's a little cold here because it's raining almost every afternoon.
    Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Le,
      Considering the season you're in, I would imagine these furs are the last thing you want to see right now. Ha Ha
      Sure my Oz readers think the same.
      Thanks for being so supportive of my blog.
      Page

      Delete
  2. I must say I love the way furs look - and feel. Joan Bennett's wrap looks too marvelous. But what's the deal with Irene Dunne's coat? She looks like someone's grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SS,
      I do have my great aunt's fur cape and it's a gorgeous chocolate brown, feels wonderful. I have a little mink teddy bear too that my mom gave me several years ago. He's a cutie!
      Page

      Delete
  3. I love the fur. I agree Joan Bennett is spectacular. Irene Dunne wore a ton of furs in her films - the lady loved fur. Have to go now - Doris Day is looking for me and I must run.....fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FlickChick,
      I remembered you talking about Irene and her love of furs last year so I had to include one for you. She'll be making a few appearances in this series. : )
      Page

      Delete
  4. Merry Christmas, Page!
    My favorite furry picture is of, Marion Davis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas, Snowflake! : )

      Marion's fur piece looked a bit rabid.
      Page

      Delete
  5. Love that Joan Bennett pic. Merry Christmas, Page, to you and your family. And Shirley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kev! Are you doing the Dueling Divas event next week?
      Page

      Delete
  6. Lana looked gorgeous as usual, but just how many critters died to make that coat? It's so big! Kim Hunter is almost unrecognizable with that generic 40's hairdo and eyebrows. Hedy's photo is so badly-lit I almost believe it's a photo taken outside of the studio, i.e., inside her home. If so, why the sad face? Love the photos, love your website !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am drooling for Joan Bennett's fur! I think that is the most beautiful of the bunch. You are so right about Kim Hunter -- dress too summery, hair not her style at all. And Pola's hair! Looks like she slept all night on one side and smashed it down. You know, I don't understand why fur has to be completely banned. Maybe I've said this before, I don't remember, but as long as the little minks and chinchillas and all are not mistreated or forced to live 300 to a cage, why does it hurt to use the fur? They can grow it back...or just wait until they die of natural cause...nyuck, nyuck, nyuck

    ReplyDelete