Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Book Chat!

With Christmas approaching, I'm sure many of you, like myself have a book or two on your Holiday Wish List. I thought I would take a moment to share some of the books that I've purchased recently and a few that I hope to get as a gift or even buy for myself. (Can't go wrong with Amazon gift cards!)

Some of the books that I've purchased recently are:
Mae West, It Ain't No Sin 

The Hollywood Studios Which takes a look at how the studios were run between the 20s and 40s. 


The Art of the Great Studio Photographers, 1925-1940

Hollywood: The Pioneers by Kevin Brownlow. (A look back at Hollywood during the silent era.)


Hollywood: Then and Now

The Glamour Factory: Inside the Studio System

Dorothy and Lillian Gish

Image Makers

Pickford: The Woman Who Made Hollywood

The Warner Bros Story

Hearst: The Collector

Marion Davies (bio)

Also, our friend, fellow blogger and author,  Jacqueline T. Lynch has a new book out titled Meet Me in Nuthatch which is available via Kindle or Paperback. You can order it HERE.  Three books on my Christmas list are Blind Faith by Joe McGinniss. (He really is the best at true crime) and the latest book by Michelle Vogel,  Lupe Velez: The Life and Career of Hollywood's "Mexican Spitfire" I'm pretty excited that we finally have a great biography on the star. Lastly, I can't wait to get Silent Movies: The Birth of Film and the Triumph of Movie Culture. 


I'm anxious to see what my blog visitors are reading and which books you have on your own holiday wish list. So let's discuss! 

Page

13 comments:

  1. I recently finished reading 'The Secret Life of Marilyn Monroe' by J. Randy Taraborrelli and it was pretty good. Lotta stuff about her family history that I never knew before, stuff which stayed with her all her life. I also read the novel 'Laura Lamont's Life in Pictures' by Emma Straub (a review is on my blog). You'd like that one, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rich,
      Thanks for the two book suggestions. You can never have too many books although my weighted down armoire begs to differ.

      I'll be sure to read your review on the Lamont book.
      Page

      Delete
  2. You're extremely kind, Page. Thank you for the mention and the link. And those movie books all sound great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Jacqueline!
      I can't wait to get started on it. I'm so proud of you and your success. We need to celebrate our great writers.
      Page

      Delete
  3. For last Christmas two of my gifts were books about movies: You ain't heard nothing yet, from a Brazilian writer on silent film, that I must finish reading to review in my blog, and Suspects, by David Thompson, in which he creates biographies for some fictional film characters. Soon I want to purchase the film cookbook by Angela at The Hollywood Revue and an Henry Fonda bio. Of course, there is always the book I wrote, Critica Retro, and I intend to write another one about classic movies.
    Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Le,
      I need to get over to your place and get more info on Critica Retro, see how I can order it. So glad to see that so many are still buying books, especially on old Hollywood.
      Page

      Delete
  4. You are quite the prolific reader, Page! What a library of great movie books! I think I would most like to read the ones about Mae West, the Glamour Factor and the Silent Movies. There is also a funny one I saw on FlickChick's site, a give-away thing, for Christmas, Dead Celebrities Cookbook -- recipes from 6 feet under. Love the name. I would really like to read a bio of W.C. Fields. Do you know of one to recommend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becks!
      I actually got my book on the Gish sisters then Hollywood Frontiers recently. I can't wait to dive into them. Really great photos. I had been looking for a good West bio for awhile and that one got the best reviews. I'll let you know if it's a good one.

      I'll check out FlickChick's giveaway. They actually had the author of that cookbook on Watch What Happens Live on Bravo this past week. I was intrigued by it instantly. Perhaps you'll get it from Santa.
      Page

      Delete
  5. Hi Page! Thanks so much for the mention, though you have me down as "Michael" instead of Michelle :) I hope you enjoy the book. It was a lot of work, but very rewarding to finally have the truth out there. FYI - Ana de la Reguera has optioned my Lupe Velez book for a film! It's scheduled to start shooting around May next year. Happy Holidays! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle,
      I am so sorry. I know I follow you on twitter at least I thought it was you because we've discussed the Velez book and I could have sworn your avi is of a male and it said Michael. So, so sorry! (It's corrected on the post)

      I do have Velez's autograph and I've been wanting to share it with info on her but there just hasn't been a decent book. A lot of us have been waiting years for a good bio.

      Congrats on the film option. That is such great news! I can't even imagine who could play Lupe successfully. She was one of a kind. I did a snarky photo review of Kongo awhile back that I think you would enjoy. I'll tweet you the link to it.

      Thanks so much for stopping by and Happy New Year.
      Page

      Delete
  6. I just had to come back and leave a word for Michelle -- Page's Kongo snark is one of her best! You'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No probs at all, Page. I'd love to read your Kongo review. It's a bizarre film, that's for sure! I didn't get your Tweet though?

    FYI - Ana de la Reguera will be playing Lupe in the film. She has her best interests at heart. I'm confident it will do her justice and honor her memory.

    As always,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle,
      I'm so thrilled that your fantastic bio on Lupe is going to be made into a film. We all look forward to it.
      I did tweet you a link to the Kongo review but you don't follow me so you may not have seen it.
      I hope you're having a great weekend.
      Page

      Delete